|Front view of Edward Steves Homestead in the King William District, San Antonio|
Luckily one of the estates is a museum and the public can tour most of the interiors and the grounds. Built in 1876, The Edward Steves Homestead on 509 King William is an elegant three-story mansion located on the east bank of the San Antonio River. Edward Steves was a German immigrant and the founder of Steves Lumber Company. He had the home built by the prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles who combined elements from the French Second Empire and the Italian Villa styles in the home's construction.
The Steves Homestead has been maintained since 1954 as a historic house museum. The property was donated to the San Antonio Conservation Society by Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Vaughan in memory of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Steves and her parents Mr. and Mrs. Albert Steves.
The majority of the first and second floors are part of the tour and include the formal parlor, family parlor, dining room, kitchen, sunroom, study and two bedrooms. Outside you can see the exterior of the servants’ rooms that are over the kitchen, The River House which used to hold one of the first indoor swimming pools used daily by Edward Steves, the carriage house and additional servants quarters which are now a visitor center.
For more information about the Edward Steves Homestead, please visit the San Antonio Conservation Society website.